Highland View Hospital was built in 1904 at a cost of $20,000 on land that was given by R.B. Dickey.
The original building consisted of 2 public wards, a children’s ward, and 11 private wards. Ten doctors and a nursing staff of 5 graduates ran the facility. The annual maintenance costs were $8,000. At a cost of $1,600, the Ladies Hospital Aid Society provide a modern operating room. In 1928, a fire destroyed part of the building and necessitated renovations.
Amherst’s first doctor was Elijah Purdy who practiced from 1820-1830 from his office near the old town site where Lusby’s or Etter’s Brook crosses West Victoria.